Thanks to everyone who attended the “Gardening in Small Spaces” workshop at this weekend’s Northeastern Organic Farming Association Winter Conference! As promised, here are the workshop materials. Both documents are on Google Drive in PDF format:
Handout: outline, site assessment tool, needs/values list, plant list for small spaces and container gardens, and suggested reading list
Power Point: case study of a small Cambridge site, how to prepare your base map and assess your site, design tips for making the most of limited space, sustainable technologies for tiny spaces – rain water harvesting, rain gardens, composting – and the best fruits & vegetables for containers
A few of you also wanted links to other goodies I mentioned:
- DIY for the engineer (plans, videos, plant-geeky goodness) The Earthtainer
- DIY for the artist (“specs, we don’ need no stinkin’ specs!”) Urban Organic Gardener
- Pre-fab: Earthbox is the gold standard. Gardener’s Supply also has a range of options, including more decorative window-boxes, etc.
Living Wall Systems
- Woolly Pockets – fabric planter pockets & grow bags in a variety of sizes & configurations
- Woolly Living Wall – modular, self-watering planter system with optional drip irrigation instructions
- GSky Plant Systems – interior & exterior products for commercial and residential use, including sizes up to 1’x1′ stainless steel; includes remote irrigation options and trellis systems for green facades
I’d love to see what you’re up to in your own gardens, so feel free to post pictures of your projects on our Facebook page!