As this next big winter storm approaches Massachusetts, State officials are advising residents to be prepared to ride it out at home. MA Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) Storm Center Roadways will be reserved for emergency vehicles beginning at noon today (Friday, February 8), and state highway crews do not expect roads to be fully cleared until the Monday morning rush hour. This may mean that your snow removal service cannot reach you immediately when the snow ends, so be prepared.
• If you are doing your own shoveling, do a little at a time, to minimize strain on your back and your heart.
• Assist elderly neighbors with snow removal and storm preparations.
• If you are concerned about tree limbs breaking in the storm, move garden furniture and cars out of their target zone.
• Consider constructing a lean-to out of plywood over small weeping Japanese maples to prevent breakage of their fine, dense branches.
• Knock snow off of evergreens such as arborvitaes that may break under snow loads.